Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Sweet Stuff

We were at JoAnn's today, shopping for some more fabric for quilts I'm making. As always, Hudson struck up a conversation with the lady who was cutting my fabric. He showed her the Star Wars toy he was holding and told her all about him, and then informed her all about the Planet Heroes toys that Santa brought him. She commented appropriately (even though I'm sure she had no idea what he was talking about), and then after a brief pause, Hudson decided to ask about her life. You see, he is learning all about the proper back-and-forth of courteous communication. Here is their conversation:

Hudson: "Do you have a kid?"
The lady: "Why yes, I do have a kid. She's a big kid though; she's 16."
Hudson: "Ohhhh! I see. What's her name?"
The lady: "Her name is Jessica."
Hudson: "Oh that's a pretty name."
pause..........
Hudson: "My mommy has a kid too. But he's not a big kid. His name is Hudson!"
The lady: "Well let me guess...is that kid you? Is your name Hudson?"
Hudson: "Yeah! That's ME!" (said with congratulations in his tone of voice, as if she'd just deciphered a complicated calculus problem)

Hudson is such a joy, and little exchanges like these just make me chuckle and swell with pride. That's my little man!

1 comment:

kmp said...

Please give that precious boy a hug from me! Love you guys.